The Web catalog is an online catalog that organizes links to websites, web pages, online services and other Internet resources. The catalog allows users to easily find and navigate interesting websites.
Are web catalogs good backlinks?
Web catalogs are a rather "old-fashioned" method to Backlinks to generate, but they still have their place in a balanced SEO strategy. Keep in mind, however, that not all Web catalogs are the same. The quality of the catalog and the Relevance to your niche are crucial factors. Here are a few pointers to get the most out of web catalogs:
Reputable web catalogs
- DMOZ: A bedrock. Even if it no longer carries the weight it once did, a link here can still be valuable.
- Yahoo! Directory: Same here, but it costs an annual fee.
- BOTW (Best of the Web): Another high quality, but paid catalog.
Niche specific catalogs
Find catalogs that are specific to your industry or niche. These are usually more valuable than general catalogs. For example, if you're in the healthcare field, a link from a medical directory would be much more relevant.
For local businesses, catalogs such as Yelp, Yellow Pages or local Chamber of Commerce-.Directories very useful. Google attracts local Backlinks into consideration when it comes to local search queries.
Academic and government catalogs
.edu and .gov domains usually have a high authority. If your website is somehow relevant to these domains, a backlink from there would be worth its weight in gold.
What to avoid
- Low-Quality Catalogs: Avoid catalogs that look like spam or have a poor user interface. Google probably won't like them either.
- Irrelevant catalogs: A backlink from a completely irrelevant page won't do you much good.
- Exaggeration: Too many Backlinks of web catalogs can appear unnatural and lead to a downgrading.
This is how you proceed
- Research: Find Web catalogsthat are relevant to your niche.
- Review: See if the catalog itself ranks well in search results. If it does, that's a good sign.
- Registration: Most of the time an entry is simple. You need to submit some info and the link to your website.
- Payment: Some catalogs are free, others require a one-time or annual fee.
Examples of web catalogen
|Bellnet||Free of charge||General||Medium||Established since the 90s|
|Web catalog.de||Free of charge||General||Medium||Extensive|
|Search nose.com||Free of charge||General||Medium||Well structured|
|Known-where.com||Fee||Business||Medium||More for commercial|
|Hotfrog Germany||Free of charge||Business||Medium||Company-oriented|
|The local||Free of charge||Local||High||Also available as an app|
|Yellow Pages||Fee||Business||High||Very well known|
|City yellow pages||Free of charge||Local||Medium||Good local Range|
|MyCity.com||Fee||Local||Medium||Focus on local businesses|
|Business directory Germany||Free of charge||Business||Medium||General industries|
|Web2Null||Free of charge||Tech & Start-ups||Medium||Focus on new web technologies|
|Linkme.com||Free of charge||General||Low||Simple entry|
|Dmoz||Free of charge||General||High||International but with German area|
|De-Linklist||Free of charge||General||Low||Simple entries|
|Yalwa||Free of charge||Business||Medium||Business-oriented|
|Business directorygermany.com||Fee||Business||Low||Various industries|
|Bunte-Suche.de||Free of charge||General||Low||General topics|
|ABC-Link.com||Free of charge||General||Low||Wide range of categories|
|Flix.com||Free of charge||General||Medium||Older Web catalog|
|Linkhitlist||Free of charge||General||Low||Manual check|
|Weblinks4u.com||Free of charge||General||Low||Manual check|
|Seo-United.com||Free of charge||SEO & Marketing||Medium||Focus on SEO and Online Marketing|
|Catalog4you||Free of charge||General||Low||Uncomplicated|
|Web Directory-web catalog.de||Free of charge||General||Low||Many categories|
|Search4all.com||Free of charge||General||Low||General focus|
|Findorama.com||Free of charge||General||Low||Manual check|
|Web directory.com||Free of charge||General||Medium||Larger selection of categories|
|Onlinestreet.com||Free of charge||General||Low||General topics|
|Free-Web catalog||Free of charge||General||Low||Wide category selection|
|Web catalog-1.de||Free of charge||General||Low||Simple entry option|
The list is not a guarantee of quality or success. Always check the Relevance and authority of a catalog before submitting your website. And remember: quality always comes before quantity, especially when it comes to Backlinks goes
Note that the actual authority and value of the Backlinks can vary. It is also important not only to focus on the amount of Backlinks but above all on the quality. A good backlink from a high-quality and relevant Web catalog can be much more valuable than several Backlinks from less relevant or qualitative sources.
Advantages of web catalogs
The biggest advantage of a web catalog is that it allows users to search for websites and web content in a structured way. This allows users to find the information they need faster and more efficiently. In addition, users can use a catalog to rate and comment on websites, providing feedback that can help other users find what they are looking for more easily.
Disadvantages of web catalogs
The biggest disadvantage of a web catalog is that it is usually listed manually. This means that websites are often not up to date and users cannot see the latest content. Another disadvantage is that the catalog may also contain outdated or defunct websites.
They used to be the hot shit in SEO, but times have changed. Still, they're not completely dead either. So here's my conclusion on the subject:
- Relevance is kingYou should always choose web catalogs that are relevant to your industry or target group. Imagine you have a vegan online store and you are listed in a Web catalog listed for meat lovers. Does not bring so much, right?
- Quality before quantity: It is tempting to list your website in as many web catalogs as possible. But Google is not stupid and can distinguish quality from quantity. A few really good links can be much more effective than dozens of mediocre ones.
- No spam traps: Some web catalogs these days are nothing more than spam traps that can do more harm than good. Remember the good old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
- Diversification: Web catalogs alone should not be your only tactic in link building. It's like a diet - variety is important. Backlinks from blogs, forums, and social media give you a more balanced "link diet."
- Do not forget to monitor: You should always keep an eye on which links actually give you Traffic and which do not. Tools like Google Analytics can be worth their weight in gold here.
Think of it like a soccer team. Each player (or in this case, each backlink) has his strengths and weaknesses. A midfielder alone doesn't win games, but he is an important part of a versatile team. Likewise, web catalogs are just one player in your SEO team.
So, that's it from my side. I hope this helps you!« Back to Glossary Index