What are HTML headers?
Ein HTML Header ist ein wnotiger Bestandteil einer Website, the the Struktur and Herearchhe the Informationen auf the Seite definiteiert. He besteht aus einer Reihe from HTML-Tags, the in the Copfzeile einer Seite at Quelltext platziert whethe. He bietet eine Reihe from Vlocationeilen, the fFor das Searchmaschinen-Marketing (SEO) sehr nützlich sind.
HTML header tags are used to distinguish headings and subheadings from the rest of an article. The main heading "H1" represents the Header tag which is followed by the subordinate "H2" to "H5".
Use headings to provide structure
Your header tags provide structure and context for your article. In doing so, each header should give the reader an idea of what information they can gain from the text that follows. A good way to think of header tags is as a table of contents for a nonfiction book:
- Your H1 introduces the topic your page is about, just as a title tells a reader what a book is about.
- The H2s are similar to book kapitel that describe the main topics you will cover in the sections of the article.
- Subsequent headings, H3s to H6s, serve as additional Subheadings within each section, just as a book chapter can be divided by several subtopics.
Using this post as an example, the H1 is the title of the article. The H2s are the seven "chapters" of this article, all related to the main topic.
Blog: HTML header structure example
Imagine you have a website about vegan diet and a blog post titled "10 delicious vegan recipes for beginners". To create a good header structure for SEO, you should follow the steps below:
- H1 Tag: The H1 tag is the most important header and should contain the main title of the post. In our example, the H1 tag would be "10 delicious vegan recipes for beginners". Make sure that each page on your website has only one H1 tag and it contains the main keywords of your page.
- H2 tags: H2 tags are the next level of hierarchy and are used for the headings of each section or main topic. In our example, you could use an H2 tag for each of the 10 recipes, e.g. "H2: Vegan Curry for Beginners" or "H2: Quick Vegan Pasta". By including relevant keywords in the H2 tags, you help search engines better understand the content of your page.
- H3 tags: H3 tags are for subtopics or sections within an H2 section. In our example, you could use H3 tags to organize the individual steps or ingredient lists for each recipe, such as "H3: Ingredients for vegan curry" or "H3: Preparation of vegan pasta".
- Consistency and hierarchy: Make sure you use a consistent hierarchy and don't skip levels. Don't jump directly from an H1 tag to an H3 tag without an H2 tag in between. This helps both search engines and visitors to your site understand the structure and content more easily.
- Readability and Relevance: Use clear, concise, and relevant headings that reflect the content of each section. This is important not only for SEO, but also to improve user experience. If visitors to your website can understand the headings quickly and easily, they're more likely to stay on the page and read on.
By following these tips and creating a well-structured header hierarchy, you will improve your site's SEO and make it easier for search engines to find your site's content. crawl und zu indexieren. Das wiederum kann dazu führen, dass Ihre Seite höher in den Suchergebnissen erscheint und mehr organischen Traffic receives.
Product page in the online store: Example of HTML header structure
Let's say you have an online store for sustainable fashion and a product page for an eco-friendly t-shirt. To optimize the header structure for SEO, you should consider the following steps:
- H1 Tag: The H1 tag is the most important header and should contain the main title of the product page. In our example, the H1 tag could be "Eco-friendly organic cotton t-shirt". Make sure that each page on your website has only one H1 tag and it contains the main keywords of your page.
- H2 tags: H2 tags are the next level of hierarchy and are used for the headings of each section or main topic. In our example, you could use H2 tags for the different sections of the product page, such as "H2: Product details", "H2: Size chart", or "H2: Sustainability aspects". By including relevant keywords in the H2 tags, you help search engines better understand the content of your page.
- H3 tags: H3 tags are intended for subtopics or subsections within an H2 section. In our example, you could use H3 tags to organize the individual items within the product details, such as "H3: Material", "H3: Care instructions", or "H3: Origin and manufacturing process".
Service page as a service provider: example of HTML header structure
Let's say you are a provider of professional cleaning services and you have a website with a services page that describes the services you offer. To optimize the header structure for SEO, you should consider the following steps:
- H1 Tag: The H1 tag is the most important header and should contain the main title of the service page. In our example, the H1 tag could be "Professional cleaning services for your home and office". Make sure that each page on your website has only one H1 tag and it contains the main keywords of your page.
- H2 tags: H2 tags are the next level of hierarchy and are used for the headings of each section or main topic. In our example, you could use H2 tags for the different services you offer, such as "H2: Apartment cleaning", "H2: Office cleaning", or "H2: Window cleaning". By including relevant keywords in the H2 tags, you help search engines better understand the content of your page.
- H3 tags: H3 tags are for subtopics or sections within an H2 section. In our example, you could use H3 tags to describe the individual aspects of each service, such as "H3: Dusting and vacuuming" or "H3: Kitchen cleaning".
Headings help to break down texts
Good HTML header are important. Why do you ask yourself? For example, they help search engines, which use the headlines, to index the structure and content of your web pages. The rule is: a scannable article is a readable article, and a readable article is one that will deliver value to users and thus rank higher in search engine rankings.
The "Scannability" - that is, how well your text scans - is so important to a post's success that publishers like Forbes have previously called it "the most overlooked factor in content marketing." The data backs up these claims. Only 16 percent of Internet users read an article word for word. The rest of the readers, only scan the text.
Users like content that can be skimmed over quickly. An article that is easy to skim performs up to 58 percent better with readers! So if an article is easily scannable, the likelihood that users will stay on your page instead of immediately returning to Google increases. In addition, these articles are also more likely to be shared.
Include keywords in your header tags
While header tags alone, won't have as big an impact on your SEO as a backlink from a high authority site, Google still looks at them to provide context for your page. As with everything Google looks at, this means it pays to include keywords in your header tags.
This does not mean that you should enter keywords at any price. As always, quality over quantity! You will notice that some, but not all, of the header tags in this article contain keywords. First and foremost, your page should be easy for users (and crawlers) to read.
Write posts primarily for the end user and then optimize for Google - without compromising the user experience.
Tools to examine header structures
- Google Search Console: You can check the header structure of your website in Google Search Console by clicking "Crawling" and then click on "Header".
- Web Developer Toolbar: Sie können die Headerstruktur Ihrer Website mit der Web Developer Toolbar in your Browser examine.
- Browser-Developer Tools: Any modern Browser hat ein integriertes Set an Entwickler-Tools, mit denen Sie die Headerstruktur Ihrer Website untersuchen können. In Chrome, Firefox und Safari können Sie diese Tools über das Menü “Entwickler” oder durch die Tastenkombination “Strg + Umschalt + I” aufrufen.
- Screaming Frog: Screaming Frog is a tool that you can download and install to examine the header structure of your website. It can also examine other aspects of your website, such as links and images.
- W3C Markup Validation Service: W3C Markup Validation Service is an online tool that allows you to validate and check the HTML code of your website, including the header structure.
- HeadingsMap: ist a tool that gives you the overview of the headers structure of your website, it shows you the structure of the headers (H1, H2, H3, etc.) and how they run through the pages.
There are many other tools and platforms you can use to analyze and optimize your website. It is important to have the right structure of headings within your pages to ensure good usability and Search engine optimization to reach.
WordPress plugins to optimize HTML headers
- Yoast SEO: Yoast SEO is one of the most popular SEO plugins for WordPress. It offers you the possibility to check and optimize the structure of your headings by helping you optimize the content of your pages for keywords and headings.
- All in One SEO Pack: The All in One SEO Pack is another popular SEOPlugin für WordPress. Es bietet ähnliche Funktionen wie Yoast SEO, einschließlich der Möglichkeit, die Struktur Ihrer Überschriften zu optimieren.
- SEO by SQUIRRLY: SEO by SQUIRRLY is an SEO-Plugin, das Ihnen hilft, die Struktur Ihrer Überschriften zu optimieren, indem es Ihnen eine Vorschau der Überschriftenstruktur und Empfehlungen zur Optimierung gibt.
- Headings Checker: Headings Checker is a Plugin, das es Ihnen ermöglicht, die Headerstruktur Ihrer Seiten zu überprüfen und zu optimieren, es zeigt Ihnen auch wenn ein Fehler auftritt, wie z.B wenn die Überschriftenstruktur nicht logisch ist oder eine Überschrift fehlt.
- SEO Optimized Headings: SEO Optimized Headings is another Plugin, das Ihnen bei der Optimierung Ihrer Überschriftenstruktur hilft, es ermöglicht Ihnen automatisch die Überschriften zu optimieren und gibt Ihnen Empfehlungen, wie Sie es manuell optimieren können.
It's important to note that there are many other plugins that offer similar features and it's worth investigating a few and choosing the ones that best suit your needs. It's also important that you don't install too many plugins, as this can affect your website's loading time.
In SEO (search engine optimization), HTML headers play an important role, as they help to Relevance of the page for certain search terms.
Here are some advantages of using HTML headers in SEO:
- Improved visibility: If you use relevant keywords in the HTML headers, you can improve the visibility of the page for these search terms. This can help the page appear higher in search results and be found by more users.
- Clear structuring: HTML headers can be used to structure and organize the content of the page. This can help make the page easier for users to read and understand, and help search engines index the content better.
- Improved user experience: By using relevant and readable keywords in HTML headers, you can improve the user experience by helping users understand the page faster and find relevant content faster.
- Additional information for search engines: HTML headers provide search engines with additional information about the content of the page and can help to Relevance of the page for certain search terms. This can help the page to be found for the right keywords and appear higher in the search results.
However, there are also some disadvantages that should be considered when using HTML headers in SEO:
- Overoptimization: If you use too many or repeated keywords in the HTML headers, it may be reported as "Keyword stuffing” betrachtet werden, was von den Suchmaschinen als Spam angesehen wird. Dies kann dazu führen, dass die Seite in den Suchergebnissen sinkt oder sogar ganz aus dem Index is removed.
- Missing Relevance: If you use keywords in the HTML headers that are not relevant to the content of the page, this can result in the page being found for the wrong search terms. This can lead to the page being overlooked by users looking for relevant information.
- Poor user experience: If you use too many or irrelevant keywords in the HTML headers, this can cause the content of the page to become unreadable or incomprehensible to the user. This can cause users to leave the page, which in turn increases the bounce rate and negatively affects search engine rankings.
- Violation of webmaster policies: If you violate search engine webmaster guidelines by spamming keywords in HTML headers or using other unethical SEO techniques, it may result in the site being sanctioned by search engines.
The HTML header is an important part of a website and provides a number of useful benefits for search engine marketing. It organizes the content of the page and helps search engines understand the page better, which leads to better rankings in search results. However, it is important that the tags are used properly so as not to slow down the page.
It is important to use HTML headers carefully in SEO and make sure they are relevant and readable. This way you can improve search engine rankings without negatively impacting user experience or webmaster compliance.« Back to Glossary Index