What is a Google Bomb?
As Google Bomb is the term used to describe the black hat strategy of deliberately manipulating a search result on Google. This is achieved by the PageRank-algorithm of a specific website is increased in a targeted manner by linking a website with a keyword. This achieves an increase in the ranking of this targeted website in Google search results. Google bombs are thus strongly dependent on the influence of the PageRank instructed.
So that a Google Bomb is successful, a large number of websites (often collaborating blogs in such a case) must link to a specific web page. This is achieved by using certain words in the Hyperlink be used. When creating a Google bomb, it is especially helpful to use high-traffic websites, as the outbound hyperlinks of such pages are perceived as particularly meaningful by Google's search algorithm.
Google bombs are often politically motivated, but they are also often carried out as a prank.
The story of the first Google Bomb
The first Google bomb was used in 1999. While the creators were able to remain anonymous, the existence of the bomb was revealed when pjammer, a user on memepool.com, asked what Google thought was "more evil than Satan himself." Users who then searched for this question on Google found the Homepage by Microsoft at number 1 in the search results. The term "Google Bomb" was coined by Adam Mathes in 2001, as he was the first to write an article about this tactic.
One of the most famous Google bombs occurred in 2004, when US President George W. Bush was up for re-election. At that time, a Google Bomb every time "miserable failure" was searched for, a link of the biography of George W. Bush was placed on position 1 in the SERP's displayed.
The bomb worked because a large number of websites linked to the White House biography page. The authors had included in their Hyperlink-descriptions used the exact words "miserable failure". January 2007, Google eventually made changes to counter popular Google bombs like "miserable failure". For this search term, pages now rank above Google bombs themselves.
Problems with Google Bombing
Google Bombing is not only an unapproved SEO method, but also a very risky one. There is a risk that the website will be penalized by search engines like Google or Bing. There is also the risk of facing legal consequences if you try to manipulate the search engine results.
Google Bombing have been used in different situations and for different purposes. It could be used to advertise certain products or services, to promote a website in search engines, or to slander a website.
A well-known example of Google Bombing is the Google bombing of US President George W. Bush. Webmasters tried to display the official profile of the then president when entering the search term "miserable failure".
Another example is the Google bombing of Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott. Webmasters tried to make the official profile of the then prime minister appear when the search term "destructive leadership" was entered
More examples Google Bombs:
- "Taliban Rules" - This Google Bomb directed the search result for the term "Taliban rules" to the official website of the U.S. government.
- "French Military Victories" - This Google Bomb directed the search result for the term "french military victories" to a list of French defeats.
- "Jewlarious" - This Google Bomb directed the search result for the term "Jewlarious" to a page with Jewish humor.
- "Did Google remove the [term] feature?" - This Google Bomb was used to direct the search result for the term "Did Google remove the [term] feature?" to various pages dealing with errors or problems at Google.
- "more evil than Satan himself" - This Google Bomb directed the search result for the term "more evil than Satan himself" to the Microsoft website.
- "failure" - This Google Bomb directed the search result for the term "failure" to the website of US President Barack Obama.
- "talentless hack" - This Google Bomb directed the search result for the term "talentless hack" to the website of US President Donald Trump.
- "idiot" - This Google Bomb directed the search result for the term "idiot" to the website of US President George W. Bush.
- "stupid" - This Google Bomb directed the search result for the term "stupid" to the website of US President Bill Clinton.
Google Bombs are usually designed to steer the search result for certain terms in a certain direction by placing a large number of links from other websites to a specific page. They are usually intended as a joke or a political statement and are often used by Internet users to draw attention to certain topics or issues. It is important to note that Google Bombs are not an official feature of Google and that Google has no control over how they work or which pages they affect.
It is important to note that Google Bombs are usually intended as a joke or a political statement, and they are not an official function of Google. They are used by Internet users to draw attention to specific topics or issues by placing a large number of links from other websites to a specific page. Google has no control over how Google Bombs work or which pages they affect.
Google Bombing can be an effective way to promote a website, but it is also a very risky method that can lead to legal consequences. It is important that webmasters are aware of the possible risks before trying to manipulate search engine results.« Back to Glossary Index